May 2, 2017

Book Review: Into the Water by Paula Hawkins


Title: Into the Water
Author: Paula Hawkins
Genre: Crime Fiction, Mystery, Thriller
Release Date: May 2nd, 2017
Publisher: Riverhead Books
A single mother turns up dead at the bottom of the river that runs through town. Earlier in the summer, a vulnerable teenage girl met the same fate. They are not the first women lost to these dark waters, but their deaths disturb the river and its history, dredging up secrets long submerged. Left behind is a lonely fifteen-year-old girl. Parentless and friendless, she now finds herself in the care of her mother’s sister, a fearful stranger who has been dragged back to the place she deliberately ran from—a place to which she vowed she’d never return. Beware a calm surface—you never know what lies beneath.



After hearing so many amazing things about THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, I was excited to see that Hawkins was coming out with another thriller and I immediately jumped on that! From the cover to the synopsis, it looked amazing and I was so excited to dive into it. Unfortunately, it ended up being more on the side of disappointment instead of landing on my top favorites of this year.

Although there were many dislikes, there were of course, a few likes to the story. One of the likes being Hawkins' writing and the way she easily captivated me throughout the story with her vivid and eery descriptions of the town and the history it. Another liking I took to the book was how the author managed to weave in little excerpts of the book Nel Abbot had written about the river. It added a nice touch of eeriness to the story and I was entranced by the history of the other women who had suffered by the hands of the river.

With the dislikes of the story, one of the major things was the multiple cast of characters. From the very beginning, I couldn't keep up with who was who or what their role was in the story. Unfortunately, it continued throughout the book like that for me. Although multiple POV's may work for other readers, it didn't settle for me as it was hard to keep up with and I would be flipping back the pages to refresh myself on the characters. Another aspect I didn't really enjoy was the slow pacing of the story; I felt like everything was being dragged out and by the time the reveal came, I wasn't really into the story anymore.

For my first read from Hawkins, I'm sad to say that it ended up being a disappointing one. Although there were many likes to the story, the dislikes outweighed the good for me. Hopefully other readers will enjoy this thriller more than I did. Even though this was a miss for me, I will definitely still be picking up GIRL ON THE TRAIN very soon as I've heard great things about it!










No comments :

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog and leave a comment! I always love reading your opinions so don't be shy! Stay Stylish & Bookish!